Thursday 13 September 2012

Who has torn the jewels off your neck? / An Old Serbian Folk Song

Mother: Who has torn the jewels off your neck?
Who has scattered your pearls and corals?
Daughter: Early this morning, o mother
I went to the garden to pick the first lilacs
of the season
A dewy branch got stuck in my necklace
And scattered jewels under the lilac tree
Mother: And why are your eyes so blurry,
as you haven't slept at all?
Daughter: From a tree branch, a nightingale sang all
night long
I listened to it until the break of dawn
Its pretty song captivated and enchanted me
Out of joy, I could not fall asleep
Mother: Oh, my daughter, oh, my sorrow
And who has undone your waistcoat?
Daughter: Do not scold me my dear mother
Once you were young just as I am now
My untamed youth and the break of dawn
Have undone the waistcoat for my lavish
bosoms to show.


(thanks to 'Zanzaguz', PdR)

No comments:

Post a Comment